Happy Chinese New Year

Happy Chinese New Year
Photo by Fortune, c. 2012

Monday, May 24, 2010

A Visit Home


Mother's Day found me in Seattle enjoying the whirlwind that is my Mother's life. It was the best visit I have had in years and I loved every second of it. Seattle even blessed me with sunshine! And the Mama Energy reined majestically with one encounter after another and I overflowed with gratitude for the profound presence of Yemanja whose hand touched every aspect of my time with my Mom and my good girlfriends who live there.

A word about Yemanja, Mother of the Oceans. Yemanja is a Yoruba orisha or deity who originated in West Africa and arrived to the shores of the New World with captive African people. The world’s oceans and all that dwells there is her realm. With the constant churning of her waves, she brings wisdom, comfort, and the awesome power and joy of motherhood. She helps to transform its more difficult aspects by providing understanding, insight, and patience. She is the essence of female procreation.

The patron deity of Brazil, she is honored many times throughout the year. Perhaps the most well known celebration is at New Years when thousands of people gather at the beaches of Brazil and present gifts of perfume, watermelon and fruit, champagne and other gifts to Yemanja. She is petitioned her for protection and prosperity and especially by fisherman as they work in her waters. Her colors are blue and white and her celestial symbol is the Moon. She fancies crystals, all manner if shell and ocean life, peacock feather and silver.

I will be blogging more about my visit in coming posts.

Ashe!
LAFF


No comments:

Post a Comment