Happy Chinese New Year

Happy Chinese New Year
Photo by Fortune, c. 2012

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Hallelujah!



Glory, Glory, Glory! Glory Hallelujah!

I am on the road back to the East Coast! I left Oklahoma City at 10:00 this morning rolling in a 16 foot Penske truck, dancing down the road delirious with the joy of change. Driving across country alone was never an option but when the possibilities of driving buddies faded, here I am: driving alone with a thousand prayers and good wishes at my back and a new, fluffy pillow from Betty "so that you'll always have a place to lay your head." It will come in handy.

Memphis immediately kisses you with its mellow soul and rhythmic pulse. Just inside of Tennessee along RT. 40 I called Kyle, a friend of Penelope and Loren's, my great Oklahoma City neighbors. His girlfriend lives in Memphis. He urged me to call her. "As a matter of fact, I'm talking to her right now!" he said. And so I did.

After a little juggling it was decided I would crash over night at her house and what a delight. Cindy, a forceful young world traveler of 30 years, was a familiar spirit. Easy going, gracious, generous and a great storyteller. We exchanged stories from the road until rest called, me to the road the next morning and her to work, which brings me to the wonderful organization she works with: The Folk Alliance-North America. Here's the website, check it out:


As the Director of Sales & Marketing, I would not want to be caught trying to say "no" to Cindy regarding her fierce mission to keep international indigenous folk music viable and exposed and celebrated in the world. It was thrilling to know about the work The Folk Alliance-International is doing. The International Folk Alliance Conference 2011 will take place on February 16th-20th in Memphis and I plan to be there.

from the road
LFF


No comments:

Post a Comment