Happy Chinese New Year

Happy Chinese New Year
Photo by Fortune, c. 2012

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Raw Blue Ridge Beauty


Sometimes a photograph simply cannot capture the feeling and beauty of a moment. So, I didn't even try to recreate the magnificent beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains along Interstate 81 through Virginia with my modest little Fuji. Instead, I took the moment for myself and played Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring Suite, Fanfare for the Common Man, and Tender Land Suite over and over again, music which heightened the powerful beauty and emotion of these mountains, welcoming dawn and a new day of my adventure. There's nothing quite like tagging along with a caravan of 18-wheelers pulling on to the highway out a truck stop with Fanfare for the Common Man blasting on the sound system. Never a more perfect piece of music was created to capture the expansive optimism of the America spirit at its purest. It gave me the melody for my emotions and thoughts to float, travel, to fully experience this new beginning. The adventure of it, the surrender to it.

Thank you Betty for insisting I take Routes 40 and 81 across country - and for the pillow, which has come in very handy.

happy on the road
LAFF

No comments:

Post a Comment